Friday, September 14, 2007

But where do I put my socks?

I'm getting ready for my next round-the-world trip. But this time I am going to some new locations. It may not be so fun. I fly out 3 PM on Sunday, Sept 23 through Frankfort, Germany to Mumbai, India. (You may remember that Frankfort was in the news recently as a foiled terrorist bombing target. Yes, that Frankfort.) I arrive in Mumbai at 1 AM on Tuesday morning. I was going to fly in a few days earlier, but learned that India has a religious holiday earlier in the week. (Something about dunking a 25 foot statue in the sea.) So everything is pushed back. I fly to Singapore on Saturday. I've found the location and time of the church for that Sunday. On the following Friday, I fly to Hong Kong. Although it is conference weekend, they will still have fast and testimony meeting because of the time difference. (They tape it for viewing the following week.) After a couple of work days in Hong Kong, I fly to Shanghai, China on Wednesday. I will teach two days and then on Saturday I'm off to Tokyo. (I haven't found the church information for Tokyo. Jeff, can you suggest something?) The following Wednesday (Oct 17), I return to Houston. I'll be gone three and a half weeks - that's a long time.

The reason I am going to Asia is to provide some much needed computer training. It will be a brutal trip. I didn't know how bad it would be until I checked with our local medical department. I've been tested and have strong immunity to mumps, measles, and rubella - no boosters needed. My TB test was negative. I had to get a booster polio shot, typhoid oral booster, and something called a Twinrix (Hepatitis A/B) booster. I have to start taking malaria tablets two days before I arrive in India and continue for 7 days after I leave. I've also been told to only drink bottled water. And I'm to make sure that the bottle does not have it's seal broken. (They tend to reuse water bottles over there.)



The nurse stopped by my office today to provide me with a personal medical kit. You can see from the picture all the stuff that I am to take. I may not have room in my luggage for socks! I've got everything you can think of to cure (?) or stop diarrhea. I've got my own syringes and replacement needles in case I have to go to a doctor. (They also tend to reuse needles in India and China.) The nurse gave me a suture removal kit and butterfly bandages. I've got all kinds of high powered insect repellent and bug killer. I was even issued my own supply of antibiotics - to kill the microbugs.

Still, it is a chance in a lifetime to be able to travel to these locations and sample the local culture. I may never make it back to the more exotic cities.

I had previously told our Bishop that I would be traveling this fall and he called Bro Lacey to be my back-up seminary teacher. This means that Mom and the other parents are off the hook.

1 comment:

bethany said...

It's a good thing that they didn't ask me to go-I would have taken one look at the list of shots and refused. I'll live vicariously through you, so you have to take lots of pictures of the places you go and things you eat (yes, I want pictures of what you eat! :))